Ways to Give
Our work depends on the support of individuals, foundations, and community organizations collaborating together for the benefit of a greater good. We invite you to become a supporter and help us continue to protect the open spaces that create northern New Mexico’s spectacular vistas, the productive agricultural and ranch lands that help sustain us, and the parks and trails that promote healthier minds and bodies by connecting us with nature.
There are many ways to support the Taos Land Trust. Please see some of your options here or contact our Director, Kristina Ortez
Email: email@example.com at 575-751-3138 (office) for help or to discuss your philanthropic goals.
The easiest way to support the Taos Land Trust is to give a gift on-line . All transactions are securely processed via STRIPE. You can choose to make a one-time gift or to make a recurring gift on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis. Simply choose the gift preference when you fill out the on-line giving form.
Click the button below to make an on-line donation.
Donate by Check
To make a donation by check, please make payable to “Taos Land Trust” and mail to:
Taos Land Trust
PO Box 376
Taos, NM 87571
Or come by our offices during business hours at 410 La Posta, Taos, NM 87571.
Donate by Phone
To make a credit card contribution over the phone, please call the Taos Land Trust office at 575-751-3138.
Get the Biggest Tax Benefit
Make a Charitable IRA Contribution
If you are over the age of 70 ½ you can benefit from making a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) from Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to the Taos Land Trust. This distribution and be up to $100,000 tax fee and counts towards your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD). See this primer on IRA distributions by Edward Jones.
Donate appreciated securities
Make a bigger impact by donating long-term appreciated securities, including stock, bonds, and mutual funds, directly to the Taos Land Trust. Donating appreciated stock directly to a non-profit offers you a significant tax benefit.
How do you transfer securities to Taos Land Trust?
To make the direct transfer of securities easy for you, we have a brokerage account set up with Financial Advisor, Will Dial at Edward Jones office in Taos, NM.
To make a transfer of stock, please notify Director, Kristina Ortez at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 575-751-3138 (office) so she can help facilitate the gift.
We recommend the following steps for your transfer:
1. Talk to your broker to identify the securities that you’d like to give to the Taos Land Trust (TLT).
2. Provide to your broker the following information on transferring securities electronically to Taos Land Trust’s broker.
Broker name: Edward Jones
Will Dial, Financial Advisor
707 Paseo de Pueblo Sur
Taos, NM 87571
- Receiving Account name: Taos Land Trust Corp
- Receiving Account number: 21118765-18
- DTC number: 0057
- Brokerage Account contact: Becky Roh, Senior Branch Office Administrator 575-751-7285
- Taos Land Trust Tax ID: 85-0373099
3. Please notify Taos Land Trust of the anticipated gift, so we can work with our Brokerage firm and ensure you are properly credited and that your gift is designated appropriately.
Please email Director, Kristina Ortez, at email@example.com with the following information:
- Your name and address
- The stock or other securities you plan to transfer and the number of shares
- The approximate value of this gift
- If this gift is intended for highest need or a specific designation
- If you need a copy of our IRS non-profit Determination Letter or other information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Donor Advised Funds
If you have a Donor Advised Fund set-up at a community foundation or investment firm, please consider designating the Taos Land Trust as one of the recipients of your philanthropy.
Employee Matching Funds
We know there are not a lot of corporate matching programs in Taos, but don’t forget to check and see if your current or former employer has a matching gift program. This can often double your money in supporting the Taos Land Trust.
If you have property that no longer suits your needs, you and our community may benefit more from you donating it to the Taos Land Trust, that trying to sell it. We can consider accepting donations of any type of property whether it has strong conservation value or not.
Property offered for donation will be assessed for its conservation value, and acceptance is decided by our Board of Directors.
1. Land to Protect – Taos Land Trust will work with the owner and partners to permanently conserve the property. Our decision to accept these donations are based on available resources and alignment with our strategic conservation goals.
2. Land to Support our Mission – gifts of a home, investment property or other small parcel with low conservation value, will still help the Taos Land Trust. The proceeds from sale of these properties can provide significant support to ensure the Taos Land Trust can continue our mission of protecting critical lands in northern New Mexico and connecting our community to the land.
Donating land can offer you significant tax benefits. You can receive an income tax deduction for up to the fair market value of the real estate and you’ll pay no capital gains tax on the property transfer.
Donations of Stuff
Your old used stuff might be our gold! There are many things we need in creating the Rio Fernando Park and conserving land. Here are a few of the items we would put to really good use:
FARM / LAND EQUIPMENT
- Tractor Attachments – check with us to see if this works with our donated Kubota
- Tools – shovels, rakes, pruning shears, etc.
- Van for YCC crews
- Truck for Farm work
- Small Printer
- Table Lamp
- Wood chips
- Leaves for compost
If you have something you think might be useful, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Please contact us with questions or to further discuss your gift at firstname.lastname@example.org or 575-751-3138.
No information provided by the Taos Land Trust is intended as tax advice. Please consult with your tax advisor to determine the best philanthropic options for you and family.